Thursday, April 5, 2007

A few book reviews for my literate homies

KEEP CHECKING BACK FOR UPDATES: I'M PUTTING ALL REVIEWS IN THIS POST BY JUST EDITING IT OVER AND OVER UNTIL I CHANGE MY MIND.

Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore

This one is good despite its lurid and gawdawful name. Really, a flawless dark farce that reads like an action movie written by Vonnegut in one of his more playful spells. Enjoy.

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

I've read a lot of Moore's books in the last few weeks because they're all pretty good... this one is the other one that I can recommend without reservations. It's fluffy, occasionally tests the willingness of your suspension of disbelief, and sometimes loses its credibility, but it's still a pretty darn good book. By no means as good as Island, but simultaneously not as bad as the non-starter Practical Demonkeeping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun author, fun book, but you've got to try the Lamb!

Ducks said...

I did! It was the first I went for by Moore. :) It's also lovely with the mint jelly.

I did find it a bit limited by its (ambitious and delightful) premise, though.

More book references to come... but oh, how I flaked out when trying to remember what else I've read recently...