Thursday, July 19, 2007

Be careful what you wish for.

1. We have a Red-Shouldered Hawk who sits on our trees or the back fence, stalking the wily ground squirrels. Evidently ground-dwelling rodent is a gourmet feast for her kind, and she is less interested in both the amphibians who inhabit the creek-lake-cum-pond behind the house (ribbit) and the little birds whose feeders she hunkers amidst.

2. The splinted sunflower looks pitiful. All its petals dropped off and fled. It would give me no joy, except that the birds like it now better than ever. About a third of its seeds have been eaten-- neatly, as humans would harvest an ear of corn with their teeth!- and its leaves are tattered lace. I love the disfigured thing better than ever I did its more beauteous aspect. Not content with that, the tiny finches have discovered the seed heads forming on my dill plants (we decided to let them go to seed). Watching them naively and determinedly try to perch on a spinning seed head while devouring it is one of life's chiefer charms.

3. Pat has two jobs opening up -- one next week, one in mid-August. Famine to feast, scraping by to planning for alternate futures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said "cum pond"

Anonymous said...

I mean seriously, that is SO gross!

Robert Link said...

Uh, L, you seem to have attracted a new following. "Koom! Koom!" Geez, does no one study Latin any more?

Anyway, the comment I meant to leave was "pics, where's the pics!" I wanna see that tattered lace.

I'll skip on the cum pond...

PMS_CC said...

I'll skip on the cum pond...

I'm struck now by Thoreau's observation of children playing "kittlybenders" on Walden Pond. Apparently, it was this fantastic game where kids ran and slid on thin ice and winning by not falling through.

You're certainly right about "koom!" Whoever this despicable and cowardly vandal is, he surely isn't conversant in Latin...or Greek for that matter. ;)