Sunday, April 24, 2011

Eek!

There really are a couple blog entries between these recipes, but they're invisible. You see, I never finished them or hit "publish." So I'll get them out in the next few days.

In the meantime, Happy Easter, or whatever spring holiday woke you up with a smile on your face. :)

But make this within the next few days or you'll be sad that you took so long to do so once you finally get around to it. Seriously. Do you have eggs, milk, honey, and flour? Make this.

Don't be scared to pull out the fancy honey for this either. You can really taste it.

This delicious dish is like a baked custard mated with a Yorkshire Pudding, right on the nexus of milk & honey. It IS milk and honey held together with eggs and just enough flour to allow it to puff and brown on the edges.

Finnish Pancake

3 eggs
2 1/8 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
scant 1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter
(You could optionally flavor this with vanilla extract or beans, or with nutmeg, but why? The honey is soooo good in this.)

Heat oven to 425 and put your 10' iron skillet in it to heat up. In the meantime, beat the eggs until homogeneous, then mix the eggs, milk, salt, and honey until well amalgamated. Beat in the flour until no lumps remain.

Remove the skillet from the oven and drop the butter into it. It will melt and foam. Swirl pan so that the sides are buttered too and the whole bottom of the pan has been slicked with foamy butter. Pour in the custard mixture and put it all back into the oven.

Leave it alone until it is puffed, browned on the curled edges, and set in the middle (a knife inserted in the center will come out "clean.") There will be a little lake of butter on top, so be careful.

Serve immediately, because it looks most impressive that way, with additional honey and fresh fruit piled atop it. But you won't be able to eat it until it cools just slightly, because it has the immediate aspect of lava.

Should serve 3 or 4, but the two of us ate it all by ourselves (again.)

Oh. My.

Emily, so far as I know, honey is all right for an expectant mama. But remember that baby can't have any until he or she is a year old for fear of botulism toxin. This will be an issue. Fletcher wanted to remind me today that this should properly serve 3 or 4 people, and one of them is HIM.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds good, and in fact I believe we must be on the same wavelength as I've got a Dutch Baby cooking up as a base for my honey-sweetened stewed rhubarb. This recipe might have to be dinner. Also, thanks for the tip about honey! There is so much to know. It is daunting. I got in trouble from the doctor already. I would say "six more months!" but I suspect we're in for a lifetime of confusion.

Ducks said...

I've never made a Dutch Baby! One of these days I'll have to.

I never got in trouble from my doctor... he's very laissez-faire. But I kept finding out things that freaked me out.

Do yourself a favor. DO NOT own a copy of What to Expect. They mean well, but they are like a laundry list of things to worry about. Don't worry so much... just know what pitfalls are out there and then enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Some things about pregnancy are so incredible. Okay, most things. Not the hangry. But I enjoyed it immensely, even being a wuss about absolutely everything "dangerous."

Temper your "be good" with "be happy" and I think you're doing it right. ;)

Anonymous said...

... I totally bought that book. Now it lives under my bed because I hate it. I bought a copy of "Let's Freak Out About Babies!" because it is funny and not at all based on fact. It is much more my speed.

I have not gotten to the incredible part yet; right now I am evil because I ran out of grapes. They say everything turns around in week 14 and I'm almost there, so here's hoping!

Sigh. I am glad I can read your posts and have an idea what to expect. Also I need some freaking grapes or someone in this office is going to get hurt.